Welcome to the 辞典. Here you can find some of the phrases often used on this blog, and learn some Japanese in the process!
- アニメ (anime): Short word for Animation. Generally carries an air of オタク about it. Most regular Japanese people have no interest in アニメ, expect for maybe Lupin or Chibi Maruko-chan. If you want to talk about anime and not sound like an otaku, use the word マンガ, even if it is animation and not comics.
- チンピラ (chimpira): hoodlum, fairly derogatory since it can also refer to lower level yakuza.
- エロゲー (erogei): Erotic/Adult Games
- 外人 (がいじん; gaijin): Either a derogatory term or an abbreviation for 外国人, controversial
- 外国人 (がいこくじん; gaikokujin): person from an outside country, foreigner. More politically correct than 外人.
- 制服 (せいふく; seifuku): Uniform. Can be used for school, work, or military uniforms.
- 釣り (つり; tsuri): Fishing; generally any video that lures you in and then totally gets you with something unexpected and wrong.
3 Comments »